Please read the information on this page carefully.
These pages are designed to be a guide, not a substitute for extensive reading and research. There is no formula for writing a publishable romance.
The editors for each of the series have simply written guidelines that reflect their series' requirements. As a result, each set of guidelines “reads” differently, with some more specific than others, depending on the degree of focus the editors would like their submissions to have.
What are some other things you can do to help sell your manuscript?
First, we expect you to enjoy reading romance fiction. If you are already a fan, your appreciation for this type of book will be apparent in your writing. If you have not done so already, we encourage you to read many, many books from each series. The series that emerges as your favourite is probably the one to which you should submit your manuscript.
Second, remember reading is an emotional experience. We hope you will write from the heart and we will feel touched by what you have to say. When you put pen to paper (or finger to keyboard), do so because you have something to share with other readers.
You will also find answers to some frequently asked questions. Should you require further information don't hesitate to contact the appropriate Editorial house. Good luck!
WHERE TO SEND YOUR MANUSCRIPT
All submissions to Mills & Boon are accepted online only. Click the links below for each series line to submit.
All manuscripts submitted through the online portal are managed through the editorial offices noted in the submission page for the series. Please note that Mills & Boon Australia does not manage the submission process. If you have any further questions about your submission or the submission process, contact one of the edtiorial offices below.
Click here to see all the series lines and the submission guidelines.
Click the links below to submit your manuscript online:
Sexy (also known as Modern Romance or Presents)
Forever Romance (also known as Sweet)
Cherish (also known as Special Edition)
1 London Bridge Street
Harlequin Books/MIRA Books
225 Duncan Mill Road
Don Mills, Ontario
New York, NY 10279
SERIES WRITING GUIDELINES
Click here to view a comprehensive listing of the Mills & Boon series guidelines.
Please note the following information:
- Mills and Boon Australia is not an editorial office and does not accept submissions. All Mills & Boon submissions should be made through the online portal here.
- For our category romances, please see our Series Guidelines for details.
- All material should be the authors own original work. Stories that contain scenes or plot lines that bear a striking resemblance to previously published work are in breach of copyright law and are not acceptable.
- All material must be typewritten and double-spaced.
- Our international offices will evaluate all material in as timely a fashion as volume allows.
- Do not send any material that is being considered by another publisher. Multiple submissions are not acceptable. A literary agent is not required in order to submit.
- Our guidelines should help you understand our requirements and standards. However, there is no better way to determine what we are looking for than reading our books.
- We enter into discussions about payment only when a contract is offered.
FREQUENTLY ASKED EDITORIAL QUESTIONS
Many writers ask similar questions while preparing their romance-novel manuscripts for submission. Here are a few of the most popular questions with answers from our editorial staff.
How do I know which series to write for?
By reading books in each series you'll find a series that you like best. This is the series that you should write for.
Do you really read every submission?
Yes. Because of the large number of submissions we receive, however, our response time to each submission varies.
Do I need an agent?
Harlequin Enterprises/Mills & Boon works with both authors who are and authors who are not represented by agents.
How do I know if my manuscript has been received?
All submissions to Mills & Boon must be made online through the online portal here.
You must be registered with Submittable to submit your manuscript. You will be prompted to create an account when you begin the submission process. Please submit to only one category at a time, with only one submission at a time.We accept submissions in English only.
Please allow approximately 12 weeks for a response to your submission.
What are the most common mistakes an author makes when she sends in her manuscript?
Authors often forget to state which series or which editor the manuscript is meant for. In some cases an editor is in charge of more than one series. Therefore, it is very important to state this information clearly in the cover letter or on the front of the manuscript.